Renting a Unit in M14

Effective November 2013 [ed. 6/15]

Use Restrictions
Ref: Bylaws Article IX, Section 2, page 22-23

Rentals and Tenants:

  1. Unit owners who rent their unit are required to obtain a license from Montgomery County and must file a copy of that license with the Mutual Assistant.
  2. Lease agreements must be in writing and for a term of not less than 3 months. A copy of the lease must be filed with the Mutual Assistant.
  3. Unit owners and their tenants are required to sign an addendum to their lease [“Addendum to a Lease Agreement for Mutual 14” attached]stating that:
    a) The tenant has been provided the Bylaws and Rules of Mutual 14,
    b) Unit owners and their tenants are each responsible for the behavior of all residents of the unit and their guests,
    c) Tenants and their guests are required to abide by the rules of this Mutual, and any failure by the tenant to comply with the Mutual rules may be a default under the lease,
    d) If the unit owner is delinquent in the payment of condo fees or other financial assessments, the Board may demand, in writing, that the tenant make payments of the condo fees directly to the Mutual instead of to the unit owner. The tenant shall make this payment until notified by the Board, in writing, to resume payments to the unit owner.
  4. A unit owner who fails to comply with these rules on Rentals and Tenants shall, along with their tenant, be subject to reasonable penalties, including the loss of privileges to use facilities under the control of the Mutual.

Procedures for Renting a Unit in Mutual 14

Landlords and Tenants should direct their questions, file their paperwork, and coordinate their move, with our Mutual Assistant [301-598-1338]

  1. The Unit Owner must apply for a License from the county, and a copy of that license must be filed with the Mutual Assistant. Contact the Montgomery County Department of Housing and Community Affairs – Licensing & Registration Unit at 240-777-3799.

  1. The Unit Owner and the Tenant must each sign a Lease and the “Addendum to a Lease Agreement for Mutual 14 (PDF)”. Both documents must be filed with the Mutual Assistant.

  1. Tenants must register with the Leisure World Registrar in order to receive a vehicle decal. The tenant will be asked to show proof of their age and sign an ‘age certification’.

  1. Tenants are required to purchase HO-4 insurance. Contact your insurance agent.

  1. Tenants must follow the instructions in the Procedures for Moving In – Moving Out below

The Mutual Assistant will notify Security to admit your moving van into Leisure World when all the paperwork is in order.

Procedures for Moving In – Moving Out of Mutual 14

Informing the Mutual

As soon you have a moving date, coordinate your move with our
Mutual Assistant [301-598-1338]

Moving In and Moving Out

Moving in or moving out may only be scheduled between 8:00am and 5:00pm, Monday through Saturday.

These hours have been approved by the Mutual Board of Directors and moving trucks will not be allowed through the community gates except at these times. In an emergency or special situation call the Mutual President in advance and an exception may be made.

Elevator Use for Apartments on 2nd and 3rd Floor
The elevator lobbies may be used for staging a reasonable amount of furnishings to be loaded on or off the elevator. The elevator should be loaded, unloaded, and promptly released so that it can be used by other residents of the building between trips.

Deliveries and Contract Work

May be scheduled between 8:00am and 7:00pm, Monday through Saturday


Unit owners are responsible for damage to Mutual property caused by employees of the unit owner or tenant.

Removing Debris

  1. Any debris (other than ordinary household waste) resulting from work performed by an employee (moving company, delivery company, or contractor) is to be taken away by that employee, not put in the building’s trash room.

  2. All packing cartons emptied by the resident in the course of settling in should be flattened before placing in or near the recycling bin in the trash room or put on driveways for collection.

Emergency Telephone Numbers:

Main Gate & Security – 301-598-1044
Flooding: M-F – 8:30 A. M. – 4:30 P.M.
Call Physical Properties Dept. at 301-598-1500 (Mon-Fri 8:30-4:30),
After hours: Call Main Gate